When you want a healthy smile, it makes sense to focus extra attention on taking good care of those pearly whites. Many people don’t realize it, but the health of your gums is just as important as the health of your teeth. Here are 3 steps to improve gum health:
1. Brush After Meals
You may think of brushing as something that you do to keep your teeth healthy, but it’s also an important step to taking good care of your gums, as well. If your gums are often tender or bleeding, it can help to spend a bit of extra time gently brushing along your gum line to clean and massage your gums.
Other helpful steps to improve gum health can also include replacing your toothbrush with an electric toothbrush. Electric toothbrushes can do a great job of cleaning along the gum line where it can be difficult to reach with a regular toothbrush. The vibrations of an electric toothbrush can help to loosen plaque and increase circulation in your gums, strengthening their ability to fight off bacteria and infection.
2. Floss Daily
Did you know that brushing only cleans about 60% of the surface area of your teeth? What about the other 40%? That’s where flossing comes in. Flossing can reach between your teeth and under the gum line where the bristles of your toothbrush cannot.
If you want to take your dental care routine to the next level, it can also be beneficial to invest in a waterpik. Waterpik flossers utilize the same pressurized water technology that dental hygienists use to clean your teeth and gums during professional cleanings, but are designed for at-home use.
3. Get Regular Professional Cleanings
One of the most important steps to improve gum health is to get regular professional cleanings. While your at-home routine is vitally important to the daily care of your teeth, it can be easy to miss difficult-to-reach areas. It’s also common for staining from drinks and food to build up on your teeth over time. That’s why dentists typically recommend that patients get a professional cleaning every 6 months, or more often if you have a history of gum disease or other health issues that can affect your teeth and gums.
If you want happy, healthy gums, make an appointment today to talk with your dentist about steps you can take to improve your gum health.
Call our Lockhart, Seguin, San Marcos, TX, dental office to make an appointment with a dentist who may be able to help you find out more about this topic, and improve your oral health.